What exactly does a facilitator do?
In many group situations, and particularly in those with complex discussions or where people have different views and interests, good facilitation can make the difference between success and failure.
As a facilitator, I will employ a wide range of skills and tools, from problem solving and decision making, to team management and communications to create an environment in which the team can flourish, and utlimately reach a successful decision, solution or conclusion.
To facilitate an event well, I must first understand your group’s desired outcome, and the background and context of the meeting(s) or event. To ensure effective facilitation for my clients, I will remain objective, step back from the detailed content and my own personal views, and focus purely on the group process in a neutral stance. I will achieve successful outcomes for your group through the execution of three main phases:
- Design and plan the group process, and select the tools that best help the group progress towards that outcome.
- Guide and control the group process to ensure that:
- There is effective participation.
- Participants achieve a mutual understanding.
- Their contributions are considered and included in the ideas, solutions or decisions that emerge.
- Participants take shared responsibility for the outcome.
- Ensure that outcomes, actions and questions are properly recorded and actioned, and appropriately dealt with afterwards.
Don’t dread your next strategic planning meeting, or that meeting to discuss the next meeting. Let me organize, manage, and facilitate your group so your time is maximized and your ultimate goal is achieved in the shortest time possible.